I don’t make protein bars often but these have been so easy to make and I feel a lot better giving them to my husband knowing what’s in them. He takes a bar with him every day to work so I know having protein, healthy fat and carbs will help keep him full while he’s working. We have so much protein powder at our house so I figured I’d use that to get the extra protein in these bars. He has strawberry powder and I found some freeze dried strawberries that I thought would go perfect in the bars- and they DO!
What I love most about these protein bars is there is no refined sugars, I add healthy fats with flax seeds and almonds, and the mix is pretty versatile. This is what the mixture looks like before I add the strawberries and press into the parchment paper to freeze. It isn’t totally stuck together which is fine because they will stick together after pressed and frozen. I like having protein bars for an easy and healthy snack to grab from the fridge or freezer when I’m in a rush.
I mixed a few strawberries into the mixture before I dumped it onto the parchment paper. Then I added some extras to the top. These strawberries are very similar to the Special K cereal. They give the bar a nice crunch and add to the strawberry taste from the protein powder. Feel free to use any flavored protein powder for these bars, I used strawberries and cream.
I’m able to get about 8 decent size bars from this recipe. After cutting the bars when they get out of the freezer, I place them in small ziplock bags. Some go into the fridge and some go into the freezer.
- 1.5 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup protein powder
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3 tblsp flax seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
- In a blender or food processor, combine the oats and protein until fine. Add dates, flax seeds and almonds and continue blending until finely chopped.
- Add honey and nut butter to bowl and mix until combined.
- Carefully mix in freeze dried strawberries.
- Place parchment paper in 8x8 baking dish. Put mixture onto parchment paper and press down firmly.
- Add extra strawberries on top if desired and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Once bars are hard, remove from dish and cut into 8 pieces. Place in bags to store in fridge or freezer.