I love/need/hate having some baked chocolate goods in the house. Love because cmon- it’s chocolate. Need because I crave a little treat sometimes and like it to be healthy if I can. Hate because I’ll want to eat the whole thing.
Making breads and muffins is a favorite of mine. I like the kids to have some baked goods in the morning if I’m not quite ready to make a big breakfast or just want something simple. I called this a brownie bread because it was chocolatey like a brownie but kind of like a bread because it wasn’t as dense/fudgey. You can never tell there’s zucchini in baking because it’s masked by so much other good stuff, but it makes you feel better knowing there’s at least a liiittle bit of healthy stuff in it. Coconut palm sugar has a low glycemic index meaning it doesn’t raise blood sugar quickly.
I like (sometimes) having the kids help me with baking because getting them involved makes them excited to eat what we make. Travis has loved helping me pour ingredients in and mix them. He also gets stuff out of the fridge that I need which can be helpful (when he doesn’t drop eggs on the floor).
Evan helped himself up to the counter (thanks to learning from his brother) and was really gentle with mixing. Look at his little face- he loved it and really was better than I thought he’d be.
I honestly like to get inspiration from a few different recipes when I bake. There’s always a few things I want to include and I can never find the recipe that has all of them, so I tend to mix and match. I’ve been experimenting like this for awhile so I’ve gotten better at it but also just don’t stress too much if it doesn’t come out perfect. I like learning and using whatever I have on hand.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed zucchini (water removed)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix dry ingredients together (whole wheat flour-cocoa powder) in separate bowl.
- Grate zucchini over a paper towel in a bowl. Tightly squeeze water out of zucchini with towel and add to measuring cup until it's full.
- Beat egg and add remaining wet ingredients together except for chocolate chips.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray loaf pan with oil and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Top with additional chocolate chips before baking.